Monday, January 24, 2011

2 Quick Spice Coffee Cake

My grandmother, Gigi, gave me the "Joy of Cooking" when I graduated from college! 
Joy of Cooking: 75th Anniversary Edition - 2006
Since I had buttermilk left over from my carrot cake, I decided to try the Spice Coffee Cake from this "bible for all things cooking related"
 It turned out delicious. . .
Do you have the Joy of Cooking in your collection?

Quick Spice Coffee Cake 
(suggested 8x8x2 1/2 inch pan but I used a regular 8 in bread pan)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine in a mixing bowl:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Combine in another bowl and mix well:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt
1/3 cup light or dark corn syrup
3/4 cup raisins
Pour this into the flour mixture, stirring rapidly until blended. All the lumps need not have vanished. Pour into a greased pan and cover with Struesel I. Bake cake about 35 minutes.
Sruesel I
2 tablespoons all purpose or rice flour
2 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons sugar
blend these ingredients until they crumble.
Add; 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
(1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional) 
Sprinkle the crumbs over the cake and bake as directed.
 Joy of Cooking: 75th Anniversary Edition - 2006
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I am coming over!!! ha, i wish!!!! hey will you link one of your recipes to my link up?! one of your favorites to share!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful coffee cake, I think I will surprise the husband, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...