Sunday, August 15, 2010

3 Granny Grace's Pot Roast

Nate is such a MAN's MAN which is one of the things I love about him so much! This pot roast recipe is one of his favorite meals and is tried and true for all meat and potato guys! My Granny Grace passed the recipe down to my dad who in turn passed it on to me! Not only is this pot roast so good, it is extra special because it came from my granny!
(clearly my granny didn't have a slow cooker so I'll write the recipe the way you would cook it in an oven and add notes in italics of how to cook it in a slow cooker! I have made it both ways and they both turn out WONDERFUL!)

You will either need a large, heavy pot with a lid that will be able to go into the oven or a slow cooker.
One rump roast (one that will fit in your pot) 2-3 pounds (if using a big slow cooker you can get a bigger roast)
2-3 garlic pods
2 green peppers (remove seeds), quartered
2 onions peeled and quartered
2-3 bake potatoes peeled and quartered
4 celery stalks cut into chunks
4 carrots peeled and cut into chunks
Wesson oil (Vegetable Oil) or Olive Oil
salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly salt and pepper the roast. Take a couple of pods of garlic and slice into small slivers or about half the size of an eraser. Take a knife and make 8-10 small slits in and around the roast. Push the garlic slivers deep into the slits in the roast. Put about 2-3 tablespoons of Wesson oil or olive oil in the pot. Place the pot on the stove over medium heat. Place roast in pot and brown it on all sides. (Cover it while browning it - tends to make a mess of your stove) After browning, carefully place about 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of the pot. (if using the slow cooker you only need 1/4 cup of water) Caution- as the water might come back out of the pot due to the extreme heat! Place the green peppers, onion, celery and carrots in and around the roast.. Place the potatoes in and around the top of the vegetables and roast. Cover and place in oven and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Check the roast at about 1 hour to see if there is water or juice in the pot. If dry, place about 1/4 cup of water in the pot.  (or put all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours!)
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, you are my hero. I have been wanting to make pot roast and even googled recipes last night. I can't wait to try this later in the week. I love your blog!!!!!! Have a great week at school. Hopefully we can see you soon!!!

    Love,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. It warms my heart to read about Mother in your blog. She was a wonderful and frugal cook! I make this pot roast all the time but I never knew about the green peppers! I have also made this using red wine as the liquid. teh alcohol burns away but the taste is divine! Julia Child, move over!

    Love,

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Debbie, SO much of cooking and being around the table with friends and family reminds me of OUR family memories! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...