Sunday, August 22, 2010

3 Cornish Hens with Raisin Sauce

These are amazing and look VERY impressive (even though it is a pretty easy recipe)! We had dinner tonight with friends, and I split each hen so that everyone had half a hen and it was more than enough food! Word of warning though, this is a slow cooker recipe that you kind of need to babysit all day .  . . but perfect for stay at home moms or for Saturdays! I ran errands and went to a birthday party all while basting every (almost every) hour!

Ingredients:

  • 1 package (6 ounces) stuffing mix, prepared as directed
  • 4 Cornish game hens
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 jar (10 ounces) currant jelly
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice

Preparation:

Stuff hens with prepared stuffing; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place trivet or crumpled piece of heavy-duty foil in slow cooker, to keep hens from sitting in juices. (I just used crumpled foil) If you're using a deep and narrow crockpot, put Cornish hens in neck-side down. In a 1-quart saucepan combine jelly, raisins, butter, lemon juice and allspice. Cook over low heat, stirring, until hot and simmering. Brush some of the sauce on hens in the crockpot. Keep remaining sauce in refrigerator until serving time. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours, basting once about an hour before done. Bring remaining sauce to a boil and spoon over hens at serving time.
Makes 4 servings.
southernfood.about.com
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. hi elizabeth!!! i am so glad to have found your blog--which I looove and I can't wait to try out this yummy recipe!! i hope you are doing great! love, kambry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making these now.....they just started cooking, in the crock pot. I know I am going to LOVE them, because I can barely stop myself from eating all the sauce, right out of the pot! LOL! YUMMMMY!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...